Sunday, February 13, 2011

Support your Local 4H Club

4H is an organization that has been around for a long time and it's one that I would urge all of you with children ( ages 5-19) to look into. Olivia is my oldest and is 5 and is really enjoying it. I was in it myself when I was young and learned some fabulous lessons. I think that it is great for her to be around other similiar minded people. Today at our meeting the kids made blankets to give to a local shelter. They try to do service projects for the community througout the year, and this one one of them.

They also have opportunities to compete in various competitions too. Some of the upcoming ones include public speaking, fashion review ( where you model something you made yourself), a dairy recipe competition, a broiler BBQ competition ( where you make chicken recipes) and that's just in the next few months.

The fair is always a fun time also, when the kids enter their animals for show, as well as things from the garden that they have growned, canned items, baked goods, arts or photography.

It is such a good way to really foster the values that I want my girls to grow up learning. I want them to learn how to cook, sew, garden and can. They need to know how to do public speaking and to speak in front of people. I want them to feel confident about their skill set, and be stewards of their communites.

So, if you have kids in the right age range, please check it out, I think they would really enjoy it. You can visit it here to learn more

Any other 4Her's out there?

1 comment:

  1. I would love to do this with my lil' guy. Unfortunately, our opportunities to do these types of things are limited, as his greatest challenge is social skills. It's not easy to find other people who are accepting and willing to work through these issues with us.
    I'm glad that you are able to enjoy the experience with your sweet one.

    ReplyDelete