Saturday, March 3, 2012

Starting to plant

The first few things have went into the garden this year. We have planted out cabbage, broccoli, green onions and carrots. I also have some cilantro out already. I really love this picture of my oldest daughter. Her and her sister are a really big help. I love the feel of freshly tilled dirt under my feet. Just a hint of sunshine in the soil to warm it a bit.... ah yes. We all really love cabbage in our household so we are crossing our fingers that they turn out well.

On a similiar note, I really feel it is important to get your kids involved in gardening as soon as possible. I think it is important for them to realize where food actually comes from and to appreciate the fruits of their labor. I want them to grow up knowing that there is nothing "abnormal" or "uncool" about growing your own food. Same with chickens, my kids have grown up always having chickens. To my knowledge they have never eaten a store bought egg. Only those from our own flock. Even when we go camping or on vacation we bring our own eggs.

This post is linked up to Homesteading Barn Hop:

3 comments:

  1. Do you direct plant your broccoli? Any tricks with that if you do? We are just putting in our first official garden this week!

    Tara @ simplymadehome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Tara Yes we just directly plant it into the garden. No tips really, except to make sure you plant it in the cooler weather. Broccoli doesn't like hot weather at all, and really thrives in the cool early Spring weather. Happy Planting!

    ReplyDelete