Tuesday, February 12, 2013

(NOT) Keeping up with the Jones'

We've all heard the phrase " Keeping up with the Jones' ".

I think that there are people out there, that one day come to the realization that they do NOT want to keep up with the Jones'.

I'm one of those folks. Thankfully so is my husband.

Our oldest daughter is 7. Our youngest son is 16 months and we have one daughter between the two. And we want them to realize that a 4500 square foot house and a pool is not the goal. The goal in this life is not designer jeans. the goal in this life is not a 40k car. That gets 8 mph.

The goal in this life is not too accumulate stuff to the point that storage lockers are needed, extra rooms are built on just for storing junk and houses have to keep getting bigger and bigger to accomadate our nation's obsession with things.

We my friends are weird.

Please don't misunderstand me. We want our kids to be comfortable. We want them to have comfy clothing, and a cozy home and opportunities to do things in life.

We participate in 4H, other school events and we like to travel. We have a comfortable home. We have 2 ( paid for) vehicles.

I guess I'm just seeing more and more in my ripe old age of 30 ( yikes ) that kids are growing up in a country with lots of expectations. I deserve this, I deserve that, I WANT this, I WANT that, I NEED this, I NEED that..... It's overwhelming for parents sometimes to find a good balance. And honestly, when we were first starting out as parents, I fought that. I wanted to buy expensive things for them, and lots of things.

But then we realized. We realized that all of that STUFF , it doesn't matter. It doesn't create a family. It doesn't give our children the work ethic, the desire to give back to the community and the heart of a servant that we wanted to instill in their little hearts.

So we stopped.

And you know what? We are all so much happier. So much more relaxed, and to certain degrees healthier physically, spiritually, and emotionally.

So to all the Jones' out there, I am not envious of you. Not in the least.


Happy Homesteading ya'll! Linked up with Monday Homesteading Barn Hop Adorned From Above The Home Acre

15 comments:

  1. Wow! Most 30-year-olds are just as you described! Believe me, I know one personally! I wished she would take on the mindset you have! She would be so much happier! She probably wouldn't have to take her 'happy pill' any more! It's so sad to see someone so young who has everything and anything she wants, and still be unhappy! She is a Christian, but I'm not sure about her intimacy with the Lord. THAT makes all the difference!

    You, my friend are the exception! I applaud you every time I read your blog and thank God for people like you who have found what truly brings happiness! A simple life lived unto the Lord! I used to envy people as described, but now I thank God for what I have! If He so chooses to bless me with something, I'll receive it. Otherwise, I'll just go on living simply, and thankfully! Thanks for letting me share! Blessings to you and your family from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments today! I appreciate them so very much.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you there. Just the other day, my oldest commented on FB that she sometimes wonders why she can't have a cell phone like other kids. I commented that she may if she has money to pay for it herself. She said, "I knew you would say that." :) My kids know they have to pay for luxury items. I don't even buy toys for them. If they want it, they save for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I can not see why kids in kindgergarden need to have cell phones. In the elementary school where I worked, kids were supposed to leave their cell phones at home or keep them turned off and in their backpack. Who do you need to call when you are in school?

      Delete
  3. Amen, sister! You are so wise to have figured that out at your age. Your kids will be better off for it. We definitely think alike! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not the only ones. I knew there was a reason I started following your blog :-) There are times I wouldn't mind a fancier house, etc, but then I realize everything we have been given and what we are able to do (without worrying about large amounts of debt, etc) and realize I would rather be happy with what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And another point on the vein of "I deserve it" I know a hard working young woman who "deserved" a bigger diamond in her wedding ring, and a brand new car. Unfortunately these things meant she had to live in her in-laws basement and after several years, her marriage fell apart. We all need to understand that just because we work hard and "deserve" something, doesn't mean we can afford it, monetarily or spiritually. That bigger diamond and that brand new car cost this young lady her family. That's too high a price for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I agree.My wedding ring cost a whopping $98 at Walmart 10 years ago. Husband's was slightly more at $119. We paid cash and are still happily married. Thanks for stoppy by.

      Delete
  6. I'm right there with ya! We tried to give our children what we thought they needed, along with some nicer things, but did NOT bend to trying to keep up with what their friends had. We also were viewed by some as a little weird. I mean, we had the money, why not buy this or that child the newest expensive electronic gadget? I mean, all their friends had one! We held our ground though and I'm proud that we did. I wanted to live according to OUR values, not what others told us our values should be to keep up with the Jonses. Hang in there, it's worth the effort.

    Taylor-Made Ranch
    (visiting from Homesteading Barn Hop)

    www.taylormaderanch.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I simply adopted the attitude of "I appreciate", not "I deserve". I do not care what my neighbors have or do, they do not live my life. I am not a materialistic person by any means. I do not own jewelry, I shop thrift as much as possible, and my husband and I drive used and fully paid for vehicles. I am in my early 40's and am happy with the simple things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son is 4 and I am trying to start young with understanding the value of a dollar and how you don't always get what you want. Sadly, he is the only grandchild on either side so it is super hard to control the grandparents shopping. We also have Christmas followed closely by birthday and I think that doesn't help to try to get back on track. I am hoping to raise a child who understands that we don't get things that we don't work for. Any hints on ideas to help teach the kids to understand it better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alison, thanks for stopping by. Wow, what a question. I do know how it is about grandparents giving so much and birthdays close to Christmas. My oldest daughter ( age 7) has a birthday in mid December. I will post in the next few days regarding your question above.

      Delete
  9. I would love to have you link up to The HomeAcre Hop this evening!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-homeacre-hop-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to read you! I totally agree with you. :-)
    Have a nice week. Regula

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think that's weird at all! Right there with you :) Thanks for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop!!! Can't wait to see what you share this coming Thursday :) Here's the super easy link to the next hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-homeacre-hop-8.html

    If you haven't checked out Wildcrafing Wednesday yet, please do! :) It's a hop I co-host for herbal remedies, natural living, real food recipes, and self sufficient living. Here's the link for tomorrow's hop:
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/wildcrafting-wednesday-10.html

    ReplyDelete