Monday, August 26, 2013

Inspiration to be Godly from a Garth Brooks song??

Like my title??

Last night I was going for a run and had my iPod on shuffle. I have probably 10 years worth of songs on there, mostly Gospel and some bluegrass, but then Garth Brooks' song "The Change" came on.

To back up just a tiny bit it has been a hard few days. It seems like from every which direction I have getting slack if you will, for some of the decisions being made in MY family regarding the path we wish to take.

 Nothing too bad, but a few small things:
- I was made fun of at work when I declined an invitation to go out for "Happy Hour" when a collegue was leaving for a new job. We don't drink, I don't like to be around it, and I for sure wasn't going to waste 2 precious hours of my family time to go to a a bar to watch others get drunk. No thanks!
-When discussing back to school shopping with a few friends that have daughters my age I again was made fun of because of my decision to dress my children modestly and not allow certain items to be worn ( spaghetti straps in this instance) It just seemed a little hurtful to have to defend these actions.

So off for my run last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYYSUHxiIE8&feature=player_detailpage ( have a listen to this song if you would like)

And here comes this song:

It's not the world that I am changing
I do this so
This world will know
It will not change me

Wow Rachel! Duh! I just got reminded that the decisions my husband and I make for our family isn't to change the world. I was not trying to put manufacturers of spaghetti strapped tops out of business. We make decisions based on what we beleive to be the right choice for US. For OUR family and at the end of the day we do it kind of in defiance of the world.
No matter how many spaghetti strapped tops are on the racks, we aren't buying them for our girls. We aren't caving in to alcohol and the bar scene. We aren't changing just because the world is!

Happy Homesteading Ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! Good to hear from you again! Sometimes God uses the things of this world to remind us of His purpose for us! Just like the song! I appreciate your choices for your family and wish the little girls in my life were dressed differently, but alas, I'm not their Momma! I just try to let them know they're beautiful and share Jesus in every way that I can. Two come from a Muslim 'Bobba' (dad), and he doesn't want them talking about Jesus! We talk about Him anyway, and pray that they'll still be allowed to come and visit! I know it's hard when you work in the world, not to be affected by it. Just hold on to your decisions and God will do the rest! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete