Friday, January 3, 2014

One Small Thing- Soup Bucket

Yes a Soup Bucket!


It's been unusually cold here, and soup is just nice on a cold night isn't it?
One small thing I've been doing for a while is to keep what I call a Soup Bucket in my freezer. It's really just a few freezer Tupperware type containers, but here's the premise:

- Every so often I have a few little tablespoons of veggies left over at the end of a meal.  Instead of throwing them out, I put them in the freezer. This works well for things like green beans, carrots, beans, broccoli, cauliflower, even kale or spinach. Just throw it in there.

- Also when I make corn on the cob and have maybe one or two cobs left, I'll cut it off the cob and put the kernels in my bucket.

- We had a wild boar ham about a month ago and I had a few pieces left, I cut it in hunks and put it in my bucket.

- So yesterday I had to take all three kids to the dentist, I had made a loaf of fresh bread, and soup sounded good.

For the base of the soup I freeze tomatoes from the garden, so I took a few out, defrosted them, and ran them through my blender. It made a great tomato base.

I put it all in the crock pot and by the time we were back from the dentist we had a lovely meal ready for us.

Happy Homesteading Ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! Enjoy your warming soup all the way down to your toes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great idea. When I think about soup, I always think about chicken stock and I really need to start thinking about tomato based. I keep veggie bits and ends to make my chicken broth in a baggie in the freezer but don't actually keep anything to make the soup with normally. It is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete