Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Frugal Zucchini Sausage Soup

I'm trying to clean out the freezer and pantry a bit, keep my food budget low , and prepare some yummy stick to your ribs type meals during this ice storm. So what do you do?
Zucchini Sausage Soup. I kind of just made it up. I'm sure there are actual recipes for something similar, but here is what I used.
1 lb wild boar chorizo sausage
1 lb wild boar Andouille sausage
1/2 an onion
2 cloves garlic
3 zucchini
leftover brown rice ( about 1.5 cups)
2 pints of canned stewed tomatoes
1 pint tomato juice ( not pictured)
My husband and brother in law go boar hunting and you can make some great sausage out of it.

 So I browned up the sausage, then sliced the Andouille into bite sized chunks.

 I then added my 2 pints of canned stewed tomato sauce from last summer. Tomatoes are so versatile and easy to use in many recipes. I never can enough.

I ended up only slicing up 3 of the zucchini, I found that 4 would have been too many. I also ended up adding a pint of home canned tomato juice, as I needed more juice.
Throw all the goodies in the soup pot...

 Add a loaf of homemade bread from my trusty breadmaker....
 And we've got supper. I sprinkled a tiny bit of parmesan cheese I grated on top. The recipe made enough for plenty of leftovers as well.
Although there was initial cost in the jars, the hunting equipment to go boar hunting etc. Really this was a super frugal meal. The 4 zucchini were $2 total, so it would be about $1.50 for the zucchini, maybe .30 cents for the onion and garlic...The rice was left over from another meal, but even then I used about .20 cents worth. The bread is about .90 cents per loaf. So the ENTIRE meal including leftovers for tomorrow's lunch and maybe dinner would come to less that $3.00

Until next time..... Happy Homesteading

3 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful. And I love that it costs so little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing with Adorned From Above's Link Party. Look for the new party up tonight.
    Have a great week.
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete