Monday, July 31, 2017

Our foster/adoption training is over- now we wait

You may remember me sharing about my heart to adopt here. And our desire of having a large family.

As a Christian I feel called to the ministry of helping children and young people. I remember feeling so overwhelmed as I began to learn about how many children are in foster care, how many children are being shuffled throughout the system and how many children are waiting to be adopted. I then remember realizing that if we as Christians would step up and care for these children then there would not be a "foster care crisis"- every child would have a home. I can think of probably 20 families in my church that would be beautiful foster parents. But for some reason many people seem a bit scared, a bit unequipped even. We did too! But we certainly did feel this call on our life. So here we are.

We finished our training our requirements to become a foster/adoptive parent last night. I have to say some of it was pretty difficult to get through- learning about the traumatic pasts some of these children go through- it was rough and there were tears from my husband and I both multiple times. There were also tears of joy as we learned how God transformed some of these seemingly hopeless stories into stories of redemption, hope and grace.

So we turned in all of our paperwork and now we are waiting for our final walk through from an outside consulting firm. He/she will come into our home and ask a bunch of questions to my husband and I and will review our home again. I'm not sure when this will happen but it can take up to 8 weeks- that honestly seems so long at this point as we have been going through this process so long already- but we are just praying for a quicker turn around and patience.


No comments:

Post a Comment